NeighborWorks America will select up to 20 organizations to participate in the Excellence in Governance - Class of 2018 to help “responsible” boards become “exceptional.”
Board Self-Assessment Samples
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org after submitting your application to confirm delivery.
Involvement of the Full Board
The full board is strongly encouraged to review the Ten Basic Responsibilities
and Twelve Principles of Governance that Power Exceptional Boards
and discuss the questions found in Sections II and III when determining whether or not to apply. Because participation will require a commitment of time and resources from the organization as well as a full board retreat, a letter of acknowledgment and support that represents a vote of the full board and the Executive Director/CEO must accompany this application to ensure the members support participation, agree to a full board retreat and acknowledge the full board’s participation in and/or review of this application prior to submission.
Identifying the Leadership Team
The Leadership Team shall consist of four current or emerging board leaders and
the Executive Director/CEO plus 1-2 alternates. The current term limit of each Leadership Team member should not expire during or within a year after the program ends and the organization is encouraged to select members who will assume or be elected to a board leadership role in the next 4-5 years. Organizations are strongly encouraged to select a diverse Leadership Team that reflects the constituency the organization serves, considering age, gender, race, ethnicity and national origin.
The most effective Leadership Team members are likely to be individuals who:
- Are sincerely enthusiastic about the opportunity to maximize the effectiveness of your board.
- Are catalysts for change.
- Are willing and prepared to take responsibility for bringing the tools, concepts and learnings from the program back to the full board on a regular basis.
- Are attentive and active listeners.
- Enjoy the respect of their fellow board members.
Organizations must submit a written application with attachments via email by September 30, 2016
Phone interviews with the Board President and/or Executive Director/CEO may be requested in order to make final selection. Final selection will be made by NeighborWorks America.
All applicants will be notified of their application status no later than January 16, 2017.
NeighborWorks America strongly encourages interested board members and Executive Directors/CEOs to listen to our recorded informational call that is accessible by following the instructions below:
Information Call – September 7, 2016
Playback via the Internet
- Click on the link below or paste the entire URL into your browser: http://www2.teleconferencingcenter.com/moderator/presentation/Playback?id=eed2c887-1eb5-4205-a748-a39a73198af7.rpm
- At the prompt, enter your name and email address.
- Choose your player.
- Click Listen.