Loan-modification scams take many forms: Some mimic government foreclosure-prevention programs, others guarantee to stop foreclosure for a significant fee, and still others strip the homeowner of equity or of the home itself. With foreclosures still common in some communities, distressed homeowners continue to be vulnerable to these scams.
NeighborWorks America and its partners have worked relentlessly to get the word out to homeowners struggling to pay their mortgages each month. Since the Loan Modification Scam Alert campaign launched in 2009, we have helped empower homeowners nationwide with information about scams and how to report them.
Our partners include federal and local government agencies, national industry organizations, nonprofits and attorney generals. As a result of these partnerships, we have developed and coordinated national outreach strategies that quickly spread the word.
- We have reached more than 2.1 million homeowners with this campaign, which is available in six languages.
- More than 46,000 homeowners have reported loan scams.
- More than 2,100 counselors now are equipped to raise awareness, educate homeowners and report scams.
- Hotline for loan-modification assistance and scam reporting: 888-995-4673.
- Guide to predatory lending.
Read more on the campaign website: www.loanscamalert.org